Prednisone for Dogs
Corticosteroid mainly referrers to a steroid hormone formed by the adrenal cortex which helps in reducing swelling and immune response of the body. The
Prednisone for dogs
is a classified drug used to treat those extreme severe conditions such as the spinal cord strain, anaphylactic reactions, and several other forms of shock. Auto immune disease found in the dogs is mainly treated by this drug.
How does Prednisone Works?
Prednisone for Drugs is chemically altered by the liver into an active steroid which is known as prednisolone. There are various health conditions where this drug has proved to be beneficial for ages. However the drug should be taken only after consultation with the vet and should never be taken without prescriptions.
The Prednisone for dogs is available with the local drug stores and it can only be purchased with a veterinarian prescription. There is online stock available for these medicines in several portals with dosage from
1mg per tablet, 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg and 20mg per tablet
Prednisone for Dogs Dosage
Prednisone for Dogs is the prescribed medicine but still the usual dosage level range from 0.1 to 0.3mg/pound. This should be taken twice in a day on everyday basis without missing the dose. This is mainly for the anti-inflammatory purpose. Prednisone is also used as immune suppressive dosage which should be restricted to 1 to 3 mg/pound with 3 times each day. However the medicine dosage solely depends on the body condition as well as the response of the animal to the medicine. Also there can be severe side effects and unnatural symptoms that are visible it should be immediately consulted with the vet.
There can be crucial and severe side effects with the consumption of this drug. So it is very important to discuss the characteristic medical history of the dog with the vet before the same is been prescribed.
Long use of this medicine may result in behavioral changes like irritation and arrogant behavior and may undergo thinning of skin, liver impairment and hair fall. Due to this adverse reaction it is very important to be absolutely in touch with the vet. It is no doubt effective but only with vet’s direction.
- Prednisone for dogs is used in several conditions like neoplasia and dermatologic diseases.
- It also helps in allergic reactions like hives, asthma and itching.
- Many dogs remain affected by the inflammatory bowel disease and orthopedic diseases or other disorders which can be treated with the mentioned drug.
Prednisone Side Effects
- There can be gastric effects resulting in formation of ulcers and indigestion problems.
- Increased thirst and excessive urination can also be a notable side effect.
- Increased appetite may force the pet to search for food immediately after finishing a meal and there can be eye catching weight gain in few weeks.
- They may also have inflammation in pancreas with visible health issues like diarrhea, muscle weakness, fatigue and joint pain or vomiting.
- There may be signs of diabetes too after consumption of this medicine.
A to Z Pet Medications
Flea and Tick Control
Popular Pet Meds