Methimazole for Cats
A drug, which is utilized for the treatment of hyperthyroidism, is known as
. The condition of hyperthyroidism happens when a thyroid glad produces excessive thyroid hormone. This drug is also administered prior to thyroid surgery for lowering the level of thyroid hormone, and for reducing the consequences of thyroid manipulation. It helps in treating the condition of hyperthyroidism, by hindering the production of excess thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.
This drug is available in tablets with different mg strength like 5 mg or 10 mg and so on. You can buy
by placing your order online to get the best price. If you go out to buy this drug, you will not be able to procure it without a prescription. However, when you buy online, you can get it devoid of any prescription.
Mechanism of the drug
This medicine slows down the rate in which iodine is added to thyroglobulin through the enzyme called thyropexidase. This is a very important step in the amalgamation of thyroxine and triiodothyronine.
Way of Using
This drug is administered through mouth, and it is normally given three times everyday, or as per the directions of the doctor. The dosage of methimazole is mainly dependent on the medical condition of the
pet and the response towards the therapy. It is imperative to take the medicine exactly as the doctor prescribes it. You should not increase the dosage or make sure that this drug is not taken more than it is directed. Taking the drugs frequently will not improve the condition and can lead to more side effects.
Precautions for medication
Prior to taking methimazole you should inform the doctor, whether there is any kind of allergy to this drug. Providing your detailed medical history to the doctor before taking this medicine is recommended. This drug should be avoided during pregnancy. It is better to discuss all the pros and cons of using methimazole with the physician before the medication start.
Storage of the drug
You should store this drug at a room temperature in between 59 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit and also ensure that it is stacked away from moisture and light. Avoid storing it in your bathroom and keep the medicines away from the access of pets and children. When the medicine is expired discard it in a proper manner.
Benefits of Methimazole
- It is very effectual in decreasing the symptoms of hyperthyroid.
- Long-term medication of methimazole can result into diminution of the ailment.
- This drug can be used even when thyroidectomy is not advisable or contraindicated.
- It has fewer side effects.
Methimazole Side effects
- Symptoms of sore throat or fever can be noticed while taking this drug. This can also cause growth of agranulocytosis, which is an unusual side effect.
- Other side effects include itching, skin infection, upset stomach, abnormal loss of hair, vomiting, and abnormal sensations like prickling, tingling, burning, pulling etc.
- Swelling, muscle, or joint pain, dizziness, reduction in WBC (White Blood Cells) and even decreased platelet are some of the other side effects of this medicine.